In 2014, MHHS:
- Was chosen as the Best Nonprofit by Metroland readers for the sixth year in a row
- Found new homes for 3,528 animals
- Seized over 270 animals during animal cruelty investigations
- Trapped, neutered and returned 58 free-roaming cats
- Spayed or neutered 449 cats and 324 dogs belonging to low-income owners
- Was the only organization in the region to post found animals on our website, leading to 326 lost animals being reunited with their owners
- Delivered Humane Education programs and conducted shelter tours for over 1,000 students in elementary and middle school classes, Girl Scout troops, and other youth and adult organizations
- Held the third County Animal Response Team (CART) live disaster-response exercise
- Partnered with PetSmart Charities to open the Enhanced Adoption Center at the Latham Farms location. The center holds 15 dogs and 16 cats in 2,000 square feet and is only the 20th center of its kind in the country.
- Participated in 69 off-site adoption events and had information tables at community events
- Had 882 animals cared for in volunteer foster homes (805 cats, 76 dogs, 1 chinchilla)
- Had a record year for special events, raising $245,781 via the Around the World for 80 Strays gala, Paws in the Park walk, Art Saves Animals and other events throughout the year - thanks to our event volunteers!
- Raised $126,843.67 via Empties for Animals - volunteers sorted 1,078,171 redeemable containers
- Had 336 volunteers give a total of 25,270.68 hours (not including foster care hours). The national average for value of volunteer hours is $22.55, meaning our volunteers' time is valued at $569,838.50.
The Save-a-Bull Program:
- Fully or partially paid for 7 puppy classes, 57 basic obedience classes, 7 intermediate classes, 53 CGC classes, 14 TDI classes and 3 agility classes, for a total of 141 dogs trained
- Raised $12,136.48 from events and donations
- Participated in six adoption events and five community outreach events
- Made 39 therapy dog visits
Click here to view the Mohawk Hudson Humane Society's IRS Form 990 (requires Adobe Reader).
HOURS AND DIRECTIONS |